Pages

Sub Sea Systems — Our World is a blog dedicated to the unique experiences of Sub Sea Systems — Immerse yourself in our incredible adventures, company culture, and innovative programs and products.

Subscribe to our Blog

Friday, June 22, 2018

A Day in The Life of ...



OdySea Aquarium in Scottsdale, Arizona is not just an awesome place to gawk at sea life, learn about conservation efforts, and explore the underwater world, it's also an amazing place to Sea TREK! At OdySea, guests can don Sea TREK helmets, enter a huge tank, and follow a lively, underwater trail. They visit with resident fish and enjoy a whole new subaqueous experience!

Shannon Aldridge makes this underwater opportunity a reality for eager guests. Said Carl Hanson, former Manager and current Director of Sea TREK Water Operations and Safety,"Hiring Shannon was the best decision I've ever made as a manager. She is easily the most efficient and hardest worker I have ever had the opportunity to train. Even after I "abandoned her in the desert", she continues to excel above and beyond her duties as a Sea TREK Manager at Odysea Aquarium."


odysea shannon and carl

We interviewed Shannon and talked with her about a day in the life of a Sea TREK Dream Maker!

Q: What is your job title?

S: I am the SeaTREK Manager at OdySea Aquarium.

Sea Trek Manager Shannon

Q: What got you interested in this kind of work?

S: I grew up in a small town in the middle of the Adirondack Mountains, Lake Placid NY, so naturally I loved the outdoors, but I did not have much exposure to the ocean, so I was always fascinated by it. Going to school, I quickly realized I loved math and science, so in 5th grade, I decided I wanted to become a Marine Biologist. I attended Nova Southeastern University for Marine Biology, with a minor in Marine Ecology, and I began my SCUBA diving career through the academic diving program. About a year after graduation, I was presented with the opportunity to apply for the SeaTREK Supervisor position here at OdySea, and I figured, why not?! The job description had a good combination of working with marine life, as well as dive safety and conservation  perfect!

Shannon at Odysea


Q: What does a typical day look like for you?

S: I honestly can say there is no “typical day” for me! The amount that I have learned from this job just in the last two years is incredible! I did not expect to know half of what I know now, and it’s all because I do not have a typical work day. One day, I might be working with SeaTREK guests all day, the next I could be doing maintenance dives for hours, followed by a day full of animal procedures or learning new Life Support System techniques. Some days, I spend my entire day working on my computer!

Q: What is your favorite part of your job?

S: The entire OdySea Aquarium family! I work with such amazing, talented and driven individuals, it is truly inspiring. The knowledge that comes from all areas of operation, whether it be aquarists, mammal staff, educators, guest relations... I could go on and on. What's shared between us makes every one of us better, both personally and professionally. One team, one dream!

Penguin dive at OdySea Aquarium

Q: How much time do you get to spend with the animals?

S: A lot of time, which I love! Protecting the amazing organisms that inhabit our world oceans is my goal, so the fact that I get to spend quality time with those very animals is amazing, plus I get to educate others on their importance. Many people believe fishes do not have personalities or feelings for that matter, but they do, and they can be sassy sometimes! Most of them are just aquatic puppy dogs that want love.

Q: How much time do you spend with Sea TREK guests?

Definitely a significant amount of time! As my boss says, I’m a “wet manager” and he means I spend most of my time underwater, instead of at my desk like many other managers. But I prefer it! One of my favorite aspects of being a SCUBA Instructor is taking new divers on their first open water ocean dive and seeing their expressions! I get that same feeling of happiness by seeing SeaTREK guests turn away from the ladder and see our exhibit for the first time!

Odysea Aquarium Skeleton

 Q: What do you do in your spare time?

S: What spare time?! Just kidding! I do work a lot, but with my spare time, I’m typically traveling. Since I grew up in New York, went to university in Florida, and then moved to Arizona, most of my friends are scattered all over the place and I really miss them, so I like to see them whenever I can. If I’m not traveling, I’ll either just relax and watch Netflix, or read, lay by the pool, go to the gym or for a hike, etc.

Q: Anything else you would like to share about your job, or OdySea?

S: OdySea really is an incredible facility full of amazing people, who are ready to make a difference. So, definitely keep an eye out for some additional awesomeness in the future!

Want to visit Shannon and the amazing OdySea Aquarium? Check out  https://www.odyseaaquarium.com/


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment!