Pages

Sub Sea Systems — Our World is a blog dedicated to the unique experiences of Sub Sea Systems — Immerse yourself in our incredible adventures, company culture, and innovative programs and products.

Subscribe to our Blog

Tuesday, June 12, 2018

Celebrating Our Dads!



This Sunday, we’re celebrating our fathers with special memories and recognition of a difficult job well done! Some of the staff members at Sub Sea Systems have shared thoughts on their dads, from setting stellar examples to fun times shared!

But first, a brief history lesson! According to Wikipedia, Father's Day began as the celebration of fatherhood in Catholic Europe, and is known to date back to at least the Middle Ages, It is also recognized as The Feast Day of Saint Joseph, who is referred to as the fatherly Nutritor Domini ("Nourisher of the Lord") in Catholicism and "the putative father of Jesus" in southern European tradition. Father’s Day was introduced to the Americas by the Spanish and Portuguese, and was not celebrated in the US, outside of Catholic traditions, until the 20th century!

SSS employees were eager to talk about their Dads. Here’s what they had to say about their closest male mentors:

Keenan, FunCat Product Director
“My Pop is the most talented, hardest-working man I know. One of the most stubborn, but the best father, friend and role model a son could ever possibly ask for. One of the most important things my pop has ever taught me is there is no such thing as the word “CAN’T.”

"A man is only as good as his word” would be another often-used Jim Mayfield quote.

Keenan and Jim Mayfield
Keenan and Jim
Christina, Graphic Design Dept. Manager
Christina’s Dad obviously has a very unique spirit! “My Dad is a hard-working man with all kinds of jokes to tell, followed with a very distinct laugh.  He’s from Chicago and would often sing a song to me about his hometown. It goes a little like this…

Chicken on the track
And the train wouldn’t go.
That’s why they called it Chi-Ca-Go!”

Christina and Richard
Terrie, Web and Social Media Manager
Terrie’s Dad could really fish…and cure the common cold! She revealed, “My fondest memories of my Dad revolve around fishing! We would go deep- sea fishing on my uncle’s massive boat. We’d catch flounder and once, a giant lobster! He never made me bait my own hook.

Another great memory of my Dad was when I was a child and had a bad cold. He made a disgusting concoction of lemon juice, garlic, and sugar, and made me eat a big spoonful. It was horrible! But, my cold magically disappeared!


Hannah, Vice President Marketing
To quote Hannah, "In my mind, my Dad is a superhero, with powers that never cease to amaze and inspire me. Strong willed, compassionate, motivated, clever, worldly.. and the list goes on! We’re the best of friends, successful business collaborators, travel partners in crime, and best of all, father and daughter.”
Hannah and Jim
Hannah and Jim
Carl, Director of Water Operations and Safety
Carl told us that his dad was “a very hard-working man! He was up at 5 am every day, and set a great example for me.”  We agree, since Carl is one of the hardest workers here at Sea TREK. We thank Carl’s dad for instilling such a high work ethic!


Kyle, Vice President of Production
Kyle said, “I feel extremely fortunate for the relationship that I have with my father. Our unique family dynamic gives us this wonderful opportunity to work closely together, creating amazing products and exploring equally amazing places around the world. I am grateful for the fond memories we continue to make and thankful for the life skills that I continue to learn.”

Kyle and Jim
Kyle and Jim
Melissa, CFO
Melissa shared, “My father taught me how to thread a worm onto a fish hook, drop it in the still water, sit back and patiently wait for the fish to bite. Maybe that’s a metaphor for life! My father was, in my eyes, a perfect man. He was hardworking, kind, generous, loving, gentle and most importantly, dedicated to his family. “

Do you have fond memories of your Dad, or a favorite Father’s Day tradition? Share them below!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment!