Pages

Sub Sea Systems — Our World is a blog dedicated to the unique experiences of Sub Sea Systems — Immerse yourself in our incredible adventures, company culture, and innovative programs and products.

Subscribe to our Blog

Wednesday, July 18, 2018

Take a Journey With...



Sea TREK is an amazing underwater experience. While donning a helmet, participants submerge in an aquarium tank or walk on the bottom of the ocean floor, and observe breathtaking scenery and amazing wildlife.

Many Sea TREK helmet dive locations offer the opportunity to have your photo taken during this unique journey. Utilizing their unique talents and skills, photographers click away and take once in a lifetime shots, so that guests can share their stories with friends and family, and take home remarkable keepsake of their underwater adventures.

Sea TREK at Reef Magic is fortunate to work with Kat Rowan of Ocean Blue Productions. Kat takes amazing photos of TREKkers as they walk underwater water and meet new fish friends. Here is what Kat had to share about her unique background and exciting job!

What is your background?

My education includes a Bachelor’s Degree (with honors) in Marketing, from The University of the West of England. I have worked in the tourism industry for over 10 years. I instantly fell in love with the underwater world after my first scuba dive in Thailand, back in 2012. I then started my path to become a Dive Master on the famous Great Barrier Reef, Australia, and have since worked on the Greek Islands and the Maldives.

I am now back working on the Great Barrier Reef...the reef I call 'home'.


Describe your job 

I capture memories on their once-in-a-lifetime trip to the Great Barrier Reef!  When I first jump into the water at the Reef, I’m greeted by Wally! Wally is our famous big, blue, slimy resident, a Maori Wrasse. He loves to pose for the camera. I swim around with Wally all day, taking underwater photographs of him with our snorkelers, scuba divers, and Sea Trekkers. It’s a great workout and a lot of fun!


How long have you been an underwater photographer?

I have been a member of the Ocean Blue Productions family since June 2016.


How did you first become interested in underwater photography?

I had no previous experience in photography before joining Ocean Blue. However, once I started, it was mesmerizing- you see everything from a different perspective. My underwater buoyancy also improved tenfold! Perfect buoyancy is definitely the number one trick of the trade!


What is the best part of your job?

The people I meet. Passengers come from all over the world to visit the Great Barrier Reef... They have amazing stories to tell. The most rewarding part of my job is seeing how happy all of the guests are when they see their photos at the end of their day...it's a great feeling!


What is your favorite animal to photograph?

Wally, of course!


What about your job do you think people would be surprised to learn?

That I spend 80% of my time underwater swimming backward, not forward!


What do you do in your spare time?

I have recently purchased my first home, so I like to spend my time renovating our new house. I also love taking my dog to the beach, and binging on numerous series on Netflix.


What kind of advice do you give those who wish to shoot photos underwater?

Buoyancy is key! Also, if you are looking to purchase your own camera equipment, rent out a few different cameras and try them out first. This gives you a good feel for the camera before you invest the money.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment!