Pages

Sub Sea Systems — Our World is a blog dedicated to the unique experiences of Sub Sea Systems — Immerse yourself in our incredible adventures, company culture, and innovative programs and products.

Subscribe to our Blog

Wednesday, October 18, 2017

Part 3, Get to Know Sub Sea Staff!





We continue our series, "Get to Know Sub Sea Staff" by introducing a new, yet perhaps familiar face! Carl Hanson is new to the Sub Sea Systems team, but he has been a member of our "family" for some time. Hailing from the waters of OdySea Aquarium, Carl has had his flipper print in Sea TREK experiences for quite awhile, and has even been mentioned in past blog posts! We asked Carl a few questions about his experience and his upbeat personality shines through his responses:

What is your job title?
My job title is Sea TREK, Director of Field Operations and Safety


What got you interested in your career choice?
I have always had a love for animals from watching The Crocodile Hunter as a child. Once I got a job caring for animals, I learned I really enjoyed working with people and bringing them into my underwater world. When Sea TREK came to Miami Seaquarium, I knew this is what I was meant to do. I was able to show people (many for the first time) how humans can interact with such magnificent creatures. 


How would you describe your job to someone you just met?
To someone I just met describing my job is so difficult, I’d pull up the sea TREK website or youtube page on my phone and say, “I teach people how to do that”. If I wanted to be fancy I would say, my job is to provide knowledge regarding safe helmet diving operations worldwide, and to provide the operators with the equipment and training necessary to fully operate a Sea TREK tour. 




What is your favorite part of the job?
It’s not work if you love what you do. My favorite part of this job is that it doesn’t feel like work. I have the opportunity to travel the world and meet people from so many places and backgrounds. On top of that, I get to go underwater and teach people how to have fun.



What do you do in your spare time, away from work?
In my spare time, I love to work out. I have been a competitive athlete my entire life, so I enjoy watching sports. Anything from American football to curling, (yes, the winter Olympic sport where they slide a rock on some ice). My friends live all over the country, so I spend time with them playing video games online.



What is the weirdest/scariest/funniest underwater encounter you’ve experienced?
Weirdest underwater encounter would be when I was asked to a high school prom while guiding a tour. It was weird because I had to figure out what she was trying to say since no one could talk underwater.

Scariest underwater encounter was when I accidentally swam with bull sharks. I was recovering a trap that some fisherman had cut loose, I was not aware it was bull shark season in the area. Around 20 meters from the exit point heading back in I saw the shark fin pop up out of the water about 1 meter in front of me. When I made it to shore I realized I never let the trap go, so everybody won!

The funniest underwater encounters happen often. It is when I am diving Sea TREKs and the guests don’t realize you can hear them while on SCUBA. They sing, scream, talk to themselves, and say some of the craziest things.


What is the best piece of advice you have ever received?
The best advice I have ever received was, “Nothing in this life will ever be given to you, you need to earn it.” That drove me to accomplish what I have so far, and what will continue to push me going forward.


Know Any good diving jokes?
I know a few diving jokes.
-What happens when you cross a shark with a snowman? You get frostbite!
-Why do mermaids wear sea-shells? Because b-shells are to small and d-shells are to big.
-What be a pirates favorite letter? “Arghh!" (if they say R, "ye think it be R but it really be the sea!”… if they say R or C, “Aye!” Its a triple threat answer, you can never go wrong).





Beer or wine?
Beer - cheap beer, nothing fancy just give me a Miller.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment!